Tuesday, July 6, 2010

That's done.

Last Thursday evening started off with supper after Dave came home from work, than off to the chicken fortress fence.We got 4 more strands of the barbed wire up on the top of the posts on north side.

  We knew we had to as we had a funeral to attend the next day.  One of  Dave's fellow workers at the plant had his mother pass away. So that took most of the day. But we did manage some work on the fencing after normal chores that late afternoon and evening.

Saturday found us back at it and determined to get that fencing finished, which we did.

After the fortress was finished we put in a temporary fence to extend the turkeys territory. It extends into the chicken yard and some of the chickens seem a bit bent out of shape about it lol. Like hey I used to be able to go over there. And a few manage to get in there and then can't figure out how to get back out.

 After the fencing projects was finished we headed to the orchard part of our garden area to pull pine trees so more fruit trees will go in there. He pulled those out with our handy dandy tractor.
We got all the small pines stacked and strapped into the bucket biggest was around 8 feet I'd say. And he hauled them up to behind the barn and dumped them there.

Then we planted a plum tree and a blackberry plant.  That was enough for one day and it was 8 PM.

Hope you all had a nice 4th of July.

Sunday a nice restful day of Church, reading and a nap. That evening a couple we know from Church and genealogy work came up and gave me some Kiefer grains to try out.

Monday found us in another work day, plus we were babysitting Kaylee as the daycare was closed for the day but Kathy had to work.

Dave got started  on the watering system in the orchard area replacing some of the watering ends and little black hoses. We put it in last year and it sure was a big help not to have to do all the watering by hand.  Even if you do have to keep a close watch on how long you have each hose on leading to the different things in the garden. The pressure tank in the well house will only let you water for about 10 minutes before you run it out of water.

Our daughter stationed in Germany called while he was fixing that and he came back to the house because the 2 grand kids wanted to talked to him. They are all packing to return to the states in the middle of August. They are really looking forward to being back in the states after years away.

While Kaylee was down for her nap I got to be gofer and help put the new screen in the front screen door. Yea no more giant fly hole.
Of course Tank the cat was using it to go back outside. He may miss it but I won't.

Dave got the weed eater going this weekend and got all the high weeds along the edges of the creek and house all cut. Did one section of the creek one day and the rest and around the house Monday. He said his hands were numb when he was finished.

 We finished out the day with cutting up the tree he had fell in the back yard and running after Kaylee who loves being outside and then we did egg collecting and other chores. We had 62 degrees for the high of the day. 

I made a peach upside down cake also.

Upside down cake
bottom makes top 
Bake 350 deg. 35 to 45 min. when middle is done.

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 large can fruit or enough to cover bottom of pan.

About any fruit works and or a combination of fruit.
I use a number 9 cast iron skillet, just so you have something that can be tipped upside down.
Melt butter in pan or pour in after melted, sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Then layer the fruit over sugar and butter.

1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix sugar and eggs. Add in flour baking powder and salt. Pour this batter over the fruit in your skillet. Bake and then let stand 5 minutes. Turn upside down on your platter.

I have been baking this since I was 10 years old, this is my mothers recipe and is in our cook book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome