I did tomato sauce again this week and need to get the broccoli out of the dehydrator and get other things in it.
We still haven't had a frost yeaaaaa. But I know that will be here anytime. We woke up to 36 degrees yesterday morning and it was 38 this morning.
It was time to get wood in.
We had some illness we were passing around but I think we are all on the mend. At least that is my hopes.
If you are thinking of having some food put by and don't know where to start here is a list for beginners.
Remember this does not have to be bought all at once.
1. 20 pounds of Rice. Rice is usually one of the main food storage items. It is filling and with the use of different spices and condiments and be different tastes White rice has a longer shelf (years) life. Brown rice is more nutritional but lasts only 6 months to a year.
2. 20 pounds of Pinto Beans. Like rice, beans are the backbone to every food storage plan. You may substitute white, kidney or other types of dried bans. Pintos are one of the least expensive dried beans.
3. 24 cans of Vegetables. Green beans, peas, corn and canned tomatoes are good choices.
4. 24 cans of Fruit. Applesauce, berries, peaches, pears, pineapple, fruit cocktail or other your choice.
5. 24 cans of Meat. Turkey, chicken, tuna, shrimp, salmon, Vienna sausages, beef stew, roast beef and yes Spam or other meat you enjoy.
6. 4-10 pounds Rolled Oats. A bowl of oatmeal topped with honey, jam, sugar or canned fruit can be enjoyed for any meal.
7. 2 large jars of Peanut Butter. Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein, with calories for energy.
8. 2 large containers of Tang or other powdered drink mix. Make sure it is fortified with Vitamin c.
9. 5 pounds of Powdered Milk. Milk is a good source of protein. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of sugar (or other)when you mix it up.
10. 12 cans canned milk
11. 5 pounds of Salt. Salt is an essential for survival plus it has lots of other uses other adding to your food to help taste. Our bodies need salt to survive.
12. Pepper and other spices
13. 10-15 pounds of Pancake Mix. An all in one pancake mix (like Krusteaz) you only have to add water to make up a batch. Plus you can these for any meal. It can also be used to bread meats or vegetables.
14. 3 large jars of Honey and 2 large jars of Jam. You can choose honey and jam over sugar or can make or simply mix and match according to taste.
15. 10-15 pounds of Pasta. Assortment: Pasta is easy to fix it and most like it along with it being filling.
16. 12 cans or jars of Spaghetti Sauce. Inexpensive and satisfying, canned pasta sauce on pasta makes a satisfying meal that can be put together in minutes.
17. 20 cans of Soup or Broth. Soups are an all-in-one meal solution. All you need is a can opener and a spoon and you have a meal ready to go. This can be poured over your rice.
18. 20 pounds of flour. Wheat or white or a combo.
19. 10 pounds of Sugar
20. Can and large box of baking soda and baking powder.
21. Water, anyway you want to store it. You can use empty large pop bottles, 5 gallon containers for water (camping area in a store sells these). Or and buy bottled. This is a must have.